13 January 2010

If plane tickets weren't so expensive, I would only shop in Santiago in the future.

As if there wasn't enough to love in La Zona Vieja of Santiago, I found even more in La Zona Nueva today. I haven't spent much time there yet, so after lunch when everything opened again I set out for the Plaza de Galicia. Antonieta told me there were lots of stores there where I could find really cheap stuff. She wasn't kidding. After I went a couple places on my own she showed me two streets that run parallel to each other and pointed out all the places where I could find good prices. It's absolutely incredible what you can buy for very little. The cheap clothes aren't out of fashion (at least not in America), and they are plentiful. There's an entire store called Rebajas (Discounts). I tried to restrain myself and only bought a few things, but I'm sure I will be back. It will be a challenge not to go broke in la Zona Nueva, but at least I'll have an entire new and wonderful wardrobe! (Anyone who would like to contribute to my Santiago shopping fund can feel free to send me an email, facebook me, or leave a comment. I'll make it easy for you.)

Day 2 of classes went really well. The other students in my class are really wonderful, and it has been a pleasure to learn about Brazil and Japan along with Spain. I hadn't anticipated the added bonus of some extra culture with classmates from other non-Spanish-speaking countries. The more I talk to them the more I want to travel. But for now I'm really happy where I am. I'm learning a little more about Santiago every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment