20 January 2010

Comida Brasileña

I'll never be hungry again.

I think I've said this after almost every other meal since I got to Spain. There is so much I want to try and so often it tastes so good that I can't stop. My current cuisine-induced coma, rather than being Spanish, speaks Portuguese and comes from Brazil.

There are four Brazilians in my class and yesterday we made plans for our whole class and our two professors to go out to lunch today at a Brazilian restaurant. They have eaten at this place before and verified its authenticity, so they made sure we got a full Brazilian experience. The owner of the restaurant is from Brazil but married to a woman from Galicia. He was incredibly friendly and took very good care of us. Instead of ordering from the menu we all had the same very large, typical meal (I can't remember what it was called, nor could I spell it if I could remember). There was steak of some sort, rice, black beans, and lots of special touches that actually make those things Brazilian to accompany them. Along with that we had signature Brazilian drinks and desserts that got passed around the table so everyone could try. It was all delicious, but now I feel like I'll never be able to move again. I'm not entirely sure how I managed the walk home.

Having classes with other international students is great because we learn a little bit about every country. I'm getting more of an idea of what it's like to live in Brazil, Japan, and China while learning to speak Spanish and living in Spain. Last night I even experienced multicultural karaoke when we went to this wonderful little karaoke bar and the people I was with sang songs in three different languages.

There are so many places to see, things to try, and languages I would love to learn. But now, it's time for a siesta.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I had your spanglish blog saved in my google reader. Hot dang I just did some catch up on your blog. :( I feel like a bad friend. Monica mentioned you were blogging and I was like... wait a second. :)

    Sounds like a good land over there. And I want to hear you karaoke!!

    ReplyDelete